Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Sweet Charity at PTC

This is the first year in quite a while that I didn't get a five-play season ticket to Pioneer Theatre.  Ironically, it is the first year that I've gone to all seven plays!  When the 2013-2014 season was announced last year, only one of the plays appealed to me; however, I ended up seeing all of them in spite of myself.  I'm so glad I did!  I saw Something's Afoot because it was just after Homecoming and I desperately needed an outing that wasn't school related!  It was hilarious.  I saw Other Desert Cities because a colleague recommended it to me.  It was incredibly thought-provoking.  I took Sean and Tashena to Elf - The Musical because Sean absolutely loves the movie.  It was magical!  I saw A Few Good Men because a friend who I hadn't seen for a long time wanted to see it.  I thought it was very powerful.  Much Ado About Nothing was the production that originally piqued my interest and I really enjoyed it but, interestingly enough, it was probably my least favorite this season.  I saw Deathtrap because I was intrigued by all of the buzz in the media.  It contained one of the best plot twists I have ever seen!  Finally, I decided to see Sweet Charity last night because the rest of the season had been so good.  I loved it!  I saw this musical several years ago when the Broadway touring production, starring Molly Ringwald, came to Salt Lake City but PTC's version surpassed it.  Nancy Lemenager was absolutely amazing as Charity Hope Valentine, a girl a little tarnished but still hoping to find true love.  I laughed and laughed at her antics while she was stuck in Vittorio Vidal's closet.  The big song and dance numbers were spectacular, especially "Big Spender."  Karen Azenberg, Pioneer Theatre's artistic director, was recently quoted in the Deseret News saying that she wants to offer "something that the audience doesn't think it wants, but guess what, [they] just might have a good time."  I didn't think I would like this season but I certainly had a good time.  I'll trust you next year, Karen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...