Friday, June 13, 2014

Yellowstone 2014

When I got home from Jordanelle, I had just enough time to do laundry and shop for provisions before I headed out again for a week at Yellowstone National Park (about a five hour drive north from Salt Lake).  I love Yellowstone and I have been planning and looking forward to this trip since April.  Since I am pretty familiar with the park, I had a plan for my time there.  On my first day I visited all of the geysers and hot springs.
Lower Geyser Basin
Midway Geyser Basin (my favorite feature in the park is the Grand Prismatic Spring)
Lower Geyser Basin (I really love the Sapphire Pool)
Old Faithful
West Thumb Geyser Basin (I liked the Blue Bell Pool)
Norris Geyser Basin (I hiked all around the Porcelain Basin which was about two miles)

On my second day in the park I went on several scenic drives.  It was so beautiful!
The Yellowstone River
The Lower Falls
Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone.  So Spectacular!
I was able to see lots of wildlife!  You're not really supposed to get this close to the buffalo but I just kept walking towards them!  On a Yellowstone trip when I was ten, I walked right up to a buffalo to get a close-up picture and it freaked my Dad out.  He couldn't yell at me to stop because he was afraid of spooking the buffalo.  If I recall correctly, the picture I got was blurry...

I stayed in a cabin at the West Yellowstone KOA and it was so much fun!  The people in the cabins were outdoorsy, adventurous, and very friendly with lots of stories to tell around the campfire.  I enjoyed sitting on my porch reading.
I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Yellowstone.  Next time I visit I want to go fishing!

Note:  For two nights I drove into West Yellowstone to see productions at the Playmill Theatre.  On Monday night I saw Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, which was fun as always, and on Tuesday night I saw Les Miserables, which was absolutely amazing!  It is a small and intimate theatre and the performers lead you to your seats and chat with you for a few minutes.  They all recognized me when I returned on Tuesday (I sat in the same seat both nights); one of them kissed me on the cheek and another one hugged me.  I really enjoyed both shows and I highly recommend them if you are in the area this summer.
Go here for more information and to purchase tickets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...