Tuesday, August 12, 2014

The Hundred-Foot Journey

I wanted to see a movie last night but, in my opinion, there is a dearth of good movies in theaters right now.  I think studios are transitioning from summer blockbusters to the more sophisticated Oscar-worthy films typically released in the fall.  At any rate, I spontaneously chose to see The Hundred-Foot Journey without knowing much about it.  I figured that I would enjoy any movie directed by Lasse Hallstrom (The Cider House Rules and Chocolat) starring Helen Mirren. I absolutely loved this charming and delightful film!  After losing everything in a riot in Mumbai, a family relocates to the south of France to open an Indian Restaurant.  Madame Mallory (Mirren) owns Le Saule Pleureur, a restaurant with a Michelin star located across the street, and takes exception to this arrangement.  It is a typical clash-of-cultures-which-eventually-leads-to-understanding movie but it is filmed so beautifully and the characters are so endearing that it feels fresh.   Hallstrom liberally makes use of the picturesque setting in the French countryside and, as someone who loves France as much as I do (I'm going back next summer), I certainly appreciated all of those lovely wide-angle shots.  Manish Dayal is adorable as Hassan Kadan, the Indian cook who takes the recipes from Le Saule Peureur and adds the spices of India to create dishes worthy of a coveted second Michelin star.  I loved the chemistry between Dayal and Charlotte Le Bon, the sous chef Marguerite who initially helps him learn about French cuisine but becomes jealous of the competition.  I loved the scenes where Hassan has Marguerite try his sauces and when he throws a pebble at her window.  The scenes between Madame Mallory and Papa (Om Puri) depicting their battle for supremacy are also quite hilarious and the scene where they dance is enchanting.  I highly recommend this lovely movie, especially for anyone who enjoys food!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...