Saturday, September 20, 2014

Bronfman Plays Brahms

Every time I attend a Utah Symphony performance I learn something new about classical music!  There is so much I don't know!  Last night I heard an amazing piece by a composer I had never heard of before and I absolutely loved it.  The piece is called Transfigured Night and the composer is Arnold Schoenburg.  It is based on a poem of the same name by Richard Dehmel in which a couple walk through a forest on a moonlit night.  The woman confesses to her lover that she bears another man's child and the man ultimately forgives her at the end of the poem.  The music reflects all of the emotions the couple experience beginning slowly, softly, and mournfully then building to a frenzy as the man ponders what the woman has done.  The ending is absolutely beautiful signifying the man's acceptance and love of the woman.  Sometimes music can have a profound effect on me and this piece certainly evoked many emotions as I listened to it!  I must add it to my growing list of favorites!  After the intermission, world renowned pianist Yefim Bronfman joined the orchestra to play Piano Concerto No. 2 by Johannes Brahms.  It was quite spectacular and I literally could not look away from his fingers deftly moving up and down the keyboard.  I found this piece to be very emotional and I loved the motif played by the woodwinds in the first movement and the theme played by the solo cello in the third movement.  Bronfman received a rousing standing ovation after which he favored the audience with a delightful encore.  It was a lovely concert which will be performed again tonight.  Go here for tickets and information.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...