Saturday, September 13, 2014

Mahler's Symphony No. 1

As much as I love hearing the Utah Symphony perform at outdoor venues (see here and here) during the summer, I have been anticipating their return to Abravanel Hall for weeks!  Last night was not only the opening concert for the Utah Symphony's 2014-2015 season, but it was also the beginning of a two-year project to perform all of Mahler's symphonies in honor of Maurice Abravanel (who recorded many of them) and the 75th Anniversary of the Utah Symphony next season.  I, unfortunately, am not very familiar with Mahler but I hope to learn more about him and his music this season and next and, if last night is any indication, I am in for a treat!  This concert was wonderful!  The orchestra began with The Iron Foundry by Mosolov and I think we all know how I feel about Russian music!  This piece was composed after the Russian Revolution and incorporates Social Realism.  It is meant to convey the worker as a hero and the percussion actually mimics the sound of machinery.  It is a short piece but I thought it was brilliant, especially the theme played by the horns.  It built to such a crescendo that I was stunned for a moment before I realized it was over!  Next came Wellington's Victory by Beethoven.  This piece actually commemorates the Battle of Vitoria rather than the more famous Battle of Waterloo but it is stirring and incorporates bits of "Rule Britannia" and "God Save the King."  The percussion section certainly had a good time creating artillery sound effects (I think some of the percussionists had a little too much fun with the poppers) and I liked the two sets of snare drums on either side of the stage representing the British on one side and the French on the other.  Very entertaining.  Mahler's Symphony No. 1 was performed after the intermission.  It was recorded for commercial release sometime next year and, for some reason, I thought that was a little bit exciting.  I really enjoyed this piece because it is very atmospheric and prominently features the woodwind section (I played the clarinet in school).  I especially loved the third movement, because of the mournful theme played by a solo double bass, and the fourth movement, because of the fanfare played by the standing horn section.  This same concert will be performed again tonight and I highly recommend that you get a ticket if you are local.  If you can't make it tonight, make plans to attend a concert during the upcoming season (go here for more information and tickets).  I promise you won't be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...