Sunday, October 5, 2014

Gone Girl

Yesterday afternoon I went to see the movie Gone Girl.  My book club read the novel about the disintegration of a marriage a few years ago and I remember having shifting allegiances for the two main characters.  I ultimately came to the conclusion that both of them are completely unsympathetic and that they deserve each other.  In my opinion the movie is a great adaptation of the best-selling novel because I had the same conflicting loyalties.  Ben Affleck is really hit or miss with me but as Nick Dunne, a man suspected in his wife's disappearance, he is absolutely brilliant.  At first Nick is sympathetic because he is so clearly unhappy in his marriage but, as details emerge about his infidelity and his mistreatment of his wife, he later becomes "the most hated man in America."  This is a role tailor-made for Affleck because I think he is equal parts charming and irritating.  I am not very familiar with Rosamund Pike but she is simply amazing as Amy Elliott-Dunne, a wealthy young woman who mysteriously disappears on her fifth wedding anniversary.  Her character is also incredibly sympathetic as an abused wife but then it is revealed that she is a manipulative psychopath with a flair for vengeance.  Pike plays the role to icy perfection with an ethereal detachment.  The supporting actors are also excellent, especially (and surprisingly) Tyler Perry as Nick's slick defense lawyer.  I am a big fan of director David Fincher.  He is a genius at telling dark and disturbing stories (I loved The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo) and I love his use of an almost monochromatic palette to create a mood.  Fincher, once again, collaborates with Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross for the soundtrack and the pulsing electronic noises are highly effective at heightening the tension.  My only complaint with the movie is that it seems to lose steam during the last 20 minutes.  I would definitely recommend this film with the proviso that it is very disturbing (graphic sex and violence) to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...