Saturday, November 22, 2014

Dvorak's Symphony No. 7

If it is Friday night, you can usually find me at Abravanel Hall listening to the Utah Symphony and last night's performance was wonderful!  The concert began with Mein Heim by Antonin Dvorak.  This piece is based on two different Bohemian folk songs and I thought it sounded rather nostalgic, like someone who is longing for home, and I really enjoyed it.  Next, the orchestra played my favorite piece of the evening, Concerto No. 3 for Violin by Camille Saint-Saens, with the incredibly talented Fumiaki Miura on violin.  Saint-Saens is a composer that I have recently discovered and this particular piece is lovely.  The opening notes played by the solo violin are so plaintive that I had tears in my eyes almost immediately.  Then, in the second movement, the solo violin played a beautiful theme which was echoed by the woodwinds and then echoed by the entire orchestra at the end of the movement.  It was most affecting and I really loved it!  The third movement was quite dramatic and I especially loved the fanfare by the trumpets and trombones.  Miura was simply amazing and the audience agreed with me, giving him a rousing standing ovation.  I really enjoyed watching him because he made it look so effortless.  After the intermission the orchestra concluded the concert by performing Dvorak's Symphony No. 7.  I particularly loved the theme played by the woodwinds (the woodwinds were featured prominently last night) in the first movement.  I found the second movement to be very somber and atmospheric and I had goosebumps through much of it.  In contrast, the third movement seemed almost ebullient.  I imagined young girls waltzing in an opulent palace with ribbons flying.  The piece ended very dramatically, almost triumphantly.  In my opinion, it is a fitting metaphor for the turbulent history of Dvorak's native land.  This beautiful music will be featured once again this evening and I highly recommend getting a ticket.  If you have never attended a Utah Symphony performance before, you can get half-price tickets for this concert, as well as the popular Messiah Sing-In concerts next weekend, by using the code everyone at check-out.  Go here for more information and to purchase tickets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...