Monday, November 10, 2014

Tips for Enjoying a Classical Music Performance

I am not an expert on classical music.  In fact, I was actually quite intimidated when I went to my first symphony concert as a college student.  What should I wear?  Will I be the only one my age?  How should I behave?  Will I like it?  Fortunately, I had a wonderful experience and now I love attending Utah Symphony performances!  If you are thinking about attending a concert (you should!) here are some tips to make your experience more enjoyable.

1.  Forget any preconceived notions you have about classical music.

Classical music is not boring!  Forget about the bland and soporific Muzak you hear in elevators and department stores.  In my opinion, classical music is incredibly beautiful and dynamic.  It can be so powerful that your heart pounds, so exquisite that your spine tingles, or so achingly mournful that tears come to your eyes.  Classical music is not just for old or rich people.  I see people of all ages at symphony performances (including some HHS students who enjoyed it more than they thought they would) and, honestly, Utah Symphony concerts are quite reasonable with tickets starting as low as $18.  I spend much more for theatre productions or Utah Jazz tickets!  Finally, most fans of classical music are not pretentious snobs.  Okay, okay I use the occasional big word but, really, I am very down to earth.  My other passion in life is hockey and I am awfully fond of superhero movies and trashy Danielle Steele novels.  Most people who like classical music are just like you!

2.  Find a favorite composer.

I became a fan of Mozart after watching the movie Amadeus when I was in high school.  I like his music because it is light, airy, and beautifully uncomplicated making it easily accessible for people with little or no background knowledge about classical music.  I bought the soundtrack to the movie and listened to it over and over.  My first symphony concert was a performance of Mozart's Requiem Mass and I absolutely loved it.  Hearing a piece of music I really loved played by a live orchestra was an experience I will never forget!  Listen to some classical music on stations like Pandora and see what pieces you are drawn to.  Who is the composer?  Why do you like it?  Do you like anything else by that composer?  The Utah Symphony programs the work of a variety of different composers during the season so there is bound to be a concert featuring your favorite.  Initially, I only attended concerts featuring Mozart but, as I gradually became exposed to other composers (most concerts feature several composers), I realized that I also like many Russian composers, such as Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff, Shostakovitch, Rimsky-Korsakov, and Prokofiev, because their music is so emotional.  I am always adding new favorites to my list.

3.  Know what to expect.

Plan to arrive at the venue a little bit early to find your seat.  Concerts start on time and, if you are late, you will not be seated until an appropriate pause so as not to disturb other concertgoers.  Turn off your phone and refrain from talking during the performance.  It is distracting to audience members and the orchestra.  There really is no dress code.  I have seen people dressed in everything from jeans to full length black velvet capes and tiaras.  Wear whatever makes you comfortable but, because most concert halls are incredibly beautiful (Abravanel Hall is gorgeous), you might feel more comfortable wearing something a little bit dressy to fit in with the surroundings.  I tend to wear black!  Symphonies are divided into sections called movements and there are generally pauses between them.  You typically do not clap during these pauses (unless a soloist has been particularly spectacular).  I learned this the hard way and now generally follow the cues from the conductor who will lower his baton at the end of a piece!  However, you should clap when the concertmaster and conductor (and occasionally a soloist) come on stage at the beginning of the concert as a sign of respect.  Knowing these little bits of etiquette might make you feel less conspicuous at your first concert.

4.  Just enjoy the music!

There are notes about the featured composers and pieces that will be performed in the program and the Utah Symphony hosts pre-concert lectures one hour before each performance but, really, you don't need to do anything to prepare for a concert.  Just listen to the music!  I like to listen for a melody and variations which are repeated throughout a piece.  I also like to listen for specific instruments.  I played the clarinet in school so I particularly like it when the woodwind section is featured.  I also have a thing for chimes (I don't know why).  My sister plays the cello and likes to watch that section during a performance.  Sometimes I concentrate on an emotion that I feel while listening to a piece and other times I close my eyes and visualize a scene called to mind by the music.  All you have to do is sit back and enjoy a lovely evening.

Even if you are intimidated by classical music, step out of your comfort zone and attend a concert.  You just might find a life long passion like I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...