Thursday, December 4, 2014

Festival of Trees 2014

I have been volunteering at the Festival of Trees for many years (some years I even took students with me which was incredibly rewarding) and I had the opportunity to do so again last night.  The Festival of Trees is a holiday event where groups and individuals donate decorated Christmas trees (and other items such as wreaths, centerpieces, and gingerbread houses), usually in honor of someone who has died or who has been very ill.  Corporations, and sometimes individuals, bid on the trees at an auction and all of the proceeds go to Primary Children's Hospital.  Then the trees, and other items, are put on display for the public at the South Towne Expo Center.  I volunteer as a hostess and my job is to monitor a small area of trees.  It is such a worthwhile cause and I look forward to it every year!  After my shift is over I like to wander around and look at all of the trees (and get one of the delicious sweet rolls).  Here are some of my favorites.
While I was working in my area, I kept hearing people talk about the Pirate Tree!  When my shift was over, I decided that I should try and find it.  So fun!
This was my favorite tree of the evening.  Obviously!
 One of the trees in my area was donated by the musicians of the Utah Symphony.  You know how much I love the Utah Symphony so I thought that was awesome!
This cute Frozen tree was also in my area.  I actually had to chase down a little girl who took a doll from the tree!
The most popular tree in my area was called "Unified Heroes."  It was donated in honor of a little boy named Gage who loved firemen.  All of the children (and some adults) wanted to touch it!
The Festival of Trees continues every day until Saturday, Dec. 6 from 10:00 am to 10:00 pm.  Go here for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...