Monday, December 1, 2014

Messiah Sing-In

The Utah Symphony's performance of Handel's Messiah is a long-standing Christmas tradition in Salt Lake City but, for some reason, I have never gone before.  Marilyn and I decided to go last night and it was absolutely wonderful!  The orchestra was joined by the Utah Symphony Chorus (they always look so impressive on stage), soloists Melissa Heath, Abigail Levis, Tyson Miller, and Christopher Clayton and a few thousand audience members who joined in during selected choruses (scores could be purchased in the lobby for $9.00).  The program mentioned that Maestro Thierry Fischer would be singing the baritone part but he told the crowd before the concert started that he had, mercifully, decided not to sing!  I wonder if this was a joke or if he really can sing?  I find Thierry Fischer to be so endearing!  As I mentioned, I had never heard Handel's Messiah performed before but there was much of it that was familiar, especially the "For Unto Us" chorus.  The music was beautiful, the words were powerful. and the soloists were incredible!  I was pretty much overcome hearing all of those voices sing the "Hallelujah" chorus with the fabulous acoustics in Abravanel Hall!   It was so amazing that Maestro Fischer had the orchestra, soloists, and chorus (including the audience) perform it again as an encore!  Both Marilyn and I enjoyed this concert immensely and I think this is the beginning of a new Christmas tradition!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...