Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Snowshoeing at Soldier Hollow

Last winter I discovered a passion for snowshoeing and I went just about every weekend in January and February.  I have been sick for the past few weeks, so I haven't had a chance to go this year. Since yesterday was a day off from school, I decided to go and it felt so great to be outside and moving!
Snowshoeing is all about finding a rhythm and I picked it up again just like that!  I loved every minute!
I decided to go to Soldier Hollow, which is about an hour's drive up in the mountains, because it has lots of groomed trails to follow.  I wanted to test myself a little bit before going in the back country (Also, my favorite hole-in-the-wall diner, Chick's, is nearby in Heber City).  Soldier Hollow was the cross-country skiing venue for the Salt Lake 2002 Winter Olympics and it is a wonderful facility.  You can cross-country ski and snowshoe on lots of different trails and there are some great tubing hills with tow-ropes.
Last year I did the Olympic 5k trail all the time without difficulty.  This year I barely made it on the Little Buckaroo trail.  Apparently having a serious respiratory illness can affect your lung capacity!  Who knew?  Hopefully I will be back to normal soon!
It was a really fun day and it wasn't too cold or too crowded (especially since it was a holiday).  I'm looking forward to more snowshoeing excursions in the coming weeks.  If you would like to snowshoe at Soldier Hollow, go here for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...