Sunday, January 11, 2015

The Imitation Game

When I was in junior high and high school, I had quite a penchant for reading the spy novels of Robert Ludlum, John LeCarre, Frederick Forsythe, Ken Follett, and Jack Higgins. I especially loved spy novels dealing with World War II and my Dad joked that I would read anything that had a swastika on the cover!  When I got to college I became even more interested in spycraft and started reading non-fiction accounts from World War II.  I loved the book Seizing the Enigma by David Kahn and I was fascinated by the enigma machine used by the Germans to encrypt secret messages (I am such a nerd).  Obviously, I have really been looking forward to the film The Imitation Game which depicts the life of Alan Turing (Benedict Cumberbatch) as he works against time to create a machine capable of deciphering the enigma code used by the Germans.  I saw the movie yesterday and I thought it was absolutely brilliant!  Not only does it portray the intensity of trying to crack the code against the backdrop of war where every minute results in death, but it also tells the story of Turing's tortured existence.  It flashes back to his unhappy days at boarding school when he realizes that he is gay and chronicles the charge of gross indecency leveled against him after the war.  It is an incredible character study with the overwhelming theme that being different should be celebrated rather than vilified.  I have been a fan of Cumberbatch ever since the PBS series Sherlock began airing several years ago.  In my opinion, he is so skillful at portraying complex and eccentric characters and this may be his most nuanced performance yet (there is a lot of Oscar buzz surrounding him).  Keira Knightley (who is hit or miss with me) also gives a solid performance as Joan Clarke, the only female codebreaker who must contend with prejudices against her own unconventional behavior (it is, of course, indecorous to live and work with a group of men as an unmarried female).  I highly recommend this movie for its interesting and suspenseful plot, compelling message, and outstanding performances.

Note:  On a trip to France, I saw an actual enigma machine at the War Museum in Caen.  I literally hyperventilated when I saw it.  Yep.  Total nerd!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...