Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Leviathan

Last night I went to see the Russian film Leviathan which won Best Screenplay at the Cannes Film Festival, Best Foreign Film at the Golden Globe Awards, and was nominated for Best Foreign Film at the Academy Awards.  I thought it was absolutely brilliant!  I am fascinated by Russia; I've been there twice and I am obsessed with Russian music and literature.  There is something so uncompromisingly beautiful and yet, at the same time, so harsh and forbidding about the landscape, people, and history that holds me enthralled.  Several weeks ago I began seeing previews of Leviathan at my favorite art house theatre and I have been wanting to see it ever since because of the beautiful cinematography and the quintessentially Russian story.  The setting is the northern coastal town of Pribrezhny where a corrupt mayor tries to illegally repossess the property of an out-of-work mechanic using his self-serving police force and an unscrupulous judicial system.  He also seeks the advice of a Russian Orthodox priest who ambiguously sanctions his use of force to acquire the property.  Events unravel tragically for the mechanic and his family until his house is ultimately bulldozed and a major plot twist is revealed in the final scenes.  It is an incredible narrative about the dark side of human nature and the powerful instinct of self-preservation in an inhospitable environment.  It is also a scathing critique of Russian corruption, in politics and religion, juxtaposed with the stark beauty of Russia itself.  The tension builds slowly, very slowly, but eventually reaches a climax that I didn't see coming.  It is a haunting film that I recommend if you have the opportunity to see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...