Friday, April 10, 2015

Once

Last night when I walked through the doors of Kingsbury Hall, I had absolutely no expectations about the musical Once.  I didn't know anything about it; it was just a part of Broadway in Utah's 2014-2015 season.  When I walked out those same doors several hours later, I literally had tears streaming down my face.  It is a beautiful and moving story about the impact one person can have on your life.  A Guy (Stuart Ward) is singing one of his songs when a Girl (Dani deWaal) overhears him and strikes up a conversation.  He tells her that he wants to give up on music because all of his songs are about a girl who left him to move to New York.  She loves his music and encourages him, eventually arranging for him to record a demo.  The most poignant moment in the story is when he tells her that he wrote all of his songs for one girl but now he is singing them for her.  She then says that her estranged husband wants to work things out and he needs to go to New York to be with the girl he really loves.  I think we have all had people come into our lives and impact us profoundly before inexplicably leaving.  I know that I have and I had an almost visceral reaction to the story, particularly when it becomes apparent how much she loves him.  The music is absolutely incredible!  I really loved "Falling Slowly" because it is one of the most beautiful love songs I've ever heard and Ward and deWaal performed it with such emotion and passion.  I also really loved "Gold" and "If You Want Me."  The action takes place in a Dublin bar (you could actually go on stage and buy a drink during intermission) with minimal props and all of the incidental characters played instruments.  It was so clever and the musicians were outstanding!  I cannot recommend this show enough!  There is quite a bit of profanity (they are Irish, after all) but if you can overlook it, the story is just so beautiful!  It plays at Kingsbury Hall until April 12.

Note:  I downloaded all of the music at intermission.  It is wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...