Thursday, April 23, 2015

Over the River and Through the Woods at HCT

Last night I had the opportunity to see the play Over the River and Through the Woods at Hale Theatre.  It is a lovely story with a very warmhearted message about family (the little old ladies sitting next to me were crying).  It is also incredibly funny and I laughed out loud on numerous occasions.  Nick Christano (Alex King) is offered a big promotion at work which means that he will have to relocate from New York to Seattle. His overprotective Italian grandparents (Jared Dunn, Jayne Luke, Gary Pimentel, and Jane Merrell Huefner) in New Jersey don't want him to leave so they plot to give him a reason to stay. They decide that he needs a girlfriend which involves a painfully awkward set-up with Caitlin (Kylee Wood), the niece of his grandmother's canasta partner. Hilarity ensues. In addition to the humor, there are some tender moments as well because this play is a touching commentary on generational differences. Many of our grandparents worked hard their whole lives to provide more opportunities for their families, but in so doing, they paved the way for their children and grandchildren to leave them far behind.  A particularly memorable scene is when Nick's grandfather talks about coming to America for a better life and then realizes that Nick is also searching for a better life even though it is a different one from his.  I was lucky enough to have all four of my grandparents (and even a great-grandfather!) around until I was a young adult and I certainly recognized many of the situations portrayed.  One of my grandmas, who recently passed away, always wanted to feed everyone just like Nick's grandma. One of the funniest scenes in the play is when she tries to give him a ten pound pan of lasagna for the plane ride.  My grandma also sent me home with containers of food! The entire cast is very well-suited to their roles and I particularly enjoyed King's overwrought portrayal of Nick.  His facial expressions are hilarious, especially as he gets more and more exasperated with his grandparents' attempts to play Trivial Pursuit! As usual, I loved the set.  There were so many little details which were a lot of fun including the collections of spoons on the walls.   I definitely recommend this wonderful show.  Go here for tickets but do it soon because many performances are selling out.

Note:  If your grandparents are still alive, give them a call!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...