Monday, May 4, 2015

Saint-Saens' Organ Symphony

Friday night I attended my final performance of the Utah Symphony 2014-2015 season.  It has been a fantastic year (go here, here, and here for some of my favorite concerts) and I certainly picked an amazing concert to end with!  The orchestra began with A Night on Bald Mountain by Modest Mussorgsky.  I have heard this piece performed many times and I always picture a coven of witches dancing around a large bonfire.  It is very atmospheric!  The concert continued with Symphony No. 5 by Alexander Glazunov.  I was completely unfamiliar with this piece but I really enjoyed it.  I thought is was very dramatic and I especially loved the themes played by the brass section.  After the intermission, the orchestra played the Organ Symphony by Camille Saint-Saens (who is becoming one of my favorite composers).  This piece featured Richard Elliott, the principal organist for the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.  Several years ago, I saw the orchestra perform this piece with the same soloist and I enjoyed it so much that this one was one of the first concerts I picked when creating my season package.  I absolutely loved it!  There is a section in the second movement where the organ plays in unison with the strings, punctuated rather dramatically by the timpani and cymbals, that is so incredibly stirring I had goosebumps!  The guest conductor for the evening, Kuzuki Yamada, was absolutely brilliant and there was a particularly touching moment when he ran over to embrace Elliott at the end of the concert.  It was a very enjoyable evening of music, as always.

Note:  The Utah Symphony still has a few concerts left in the season and they will be performing in many outdoor venues throughout the summer.  I already have tickets to a concert at Red Butte Garden and I am really excited about some of the Deer Valley concerts!  Go here for information and tickets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...