Saturday, May 23, 2015

Tomorrowland

Late Thursday night (early Friday morning?) my sister and I took our parents to see the movie Tomorrowland.  Marilyn paid for the tickets and I paid for all of the concessions.  Usually the concessions cost more than the movie but Marilyn got us IMAX tickets so I totally came out on top!  We all had so much fun!  I love the atmosphere at first screenings and my parents were positively giddy (My Dad took a nap so he could make it all the way through).  The movie itself was also a lot of fun.  It didn't get very good reviews but all four of us really liked it!  Frank (Thomas Robinson), a young boy, is given a pin by a girl named Athena (Raffey Cassidy) which takes him to a world of innovation, imagination,and invention.  Many years later Casey (Britt Robinson), a precocious teenager, is also given a pin which gives her a glimpse of the same utopia.  She wants to return and eventually finds Frank (George Clooney), now a disillusioned and bitter man.  When they return to Tomorrowland with Athena, Frank reveals that he was exiled for inventing a device to travel into the future where he learned the exact date that the world will end.  Athena believes that Casey is the one who can change the world's destiny, but can she?  This movie is visually stunning, especially Tomorrowland itself.  There are some great action sequences and I particularly enjoyed the secret way back to Tomorrowland through the Eiffel Tower and the sequences where the young Frank explores Tomorrowland  via his own new and improved jet-pack are incredible!  I loved the message that hope and optimism can save humanity but I sometimes felt that I was reading an Ayn Rand novel about objectivism.  Director Brad Bird definitely emphasizes the superiority of certain individuals and that nurturing such people should take precedence over the needs of the rest of society.  However, I do think that the world needs more people willing take action today to secure a better future tomorrow.  Tomorrowland is a great movie with a positive message and I definitely recommend it (Don't listen to movie critics!).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...