Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Another Day at the Festival

I started last week at the Utah Shakespeare Festival and then I joined my family on a camping trip in Fillmore for the rest of the week.  When Marilyn mentioned that she really wanted to see one more play in the Adams Theatre, we spontaneously decided to drive to Cedar City (about an hour and a half away from Fillmore) to see King Lear on Saturday night.  I ended the week the same way I began it!
Ironically, King Lear is the first play Marilyn saw in the Adams Theatre.  Whenever I would bring Marilyn with me to the festival, we would usually see the contemporary plays in the Randall Jones Theatre but this particular year I really wanted to see King Lear and I convinced Marilyn to go.  It is really dramatic, intense, and full of symbolism so I was afraid that she wouldn't like it or get it. During intermission she told me how much she loved it and we've seen the Shakespeare plays ever since.
It was a beautiful night to see a play outdoors and this production of King Lear is amazing!  Lear (played brilliantly by Tony Amendola) is growing old and decides to divide his kingdom between his three daughters Goneril (Melinda Pfundstein), Regan (Saren Nofs-Snyder), and Cordelia (Kelly Rogers) according to how much they profess to love him.  Cordelia refuses to publicly declare her love so Lear divides his kingdom between his greedy older daughters and their ambitious husbands to the detriment of everyone.  The actresses playing Lear's daughters are outstanding and I especially enjoyed David Pichette as Lear's fool.  Marilyn mentioned several times that the oldest daughter is the most ruthless while the youngest is the one who really loves Lear.  What?  I certainly enjoyed this play (and a few more tarts) and I'm glad Marilyn suggested we come.

Note:  Unbelievably, I ran into yet another friend while waiting for the Greenshow.  This time it was my friend Jim (the one who recommends great books).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...