Sunday, July 19, 2015

Classical Mystery Tour

The summer is just not complete unless I see a Utah Symphony performance at Deer Valley and this year I picked a great concert featuring a Beatles tribute band called Classical Mystery Tour.  Just in case you didn't know this, the music of the Beatles sounds absolutely incredible backed by an orchestra, especially the Utah Symphony!  Jim Owen (John Lennon), Tony Kishman (Paul McCartney), David John (George Harrison), and Chris Camilleri (Ringo Starr) look and sound a lot like the Beatles and they even keep up the witty banter that the lads were known for.  They came out wearing the iconic black suits and Cuban heeled boots and sang a few early hits and a beautiful version of "Yesterday."  Then they quickly changed into the Sgt. Pepper's uniforms, which were fabulous, and sang "All You Need Is Love," "Penny Lane," "Here Comes the Sun," "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band," "With a Little Help From My Friends," and "Eleanor Rigby."  They ended their first set with "A Day in the Life" which sounded absolutely amazing with the orchestra.  That song has always been one of my favorites!  After the intermission, they came out dressed like hippies (I especially loved George Harrison's leather vest with fringe).  They sang "Magical Mystery Tour," "I am the Walrus," "Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da," "Yellow Submarine," and "Come Together."  One of my very favorite moments was when they sang "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" because David John (George) was absolutely incredible on the guitar solos.  They played "Live and Let Die" and "Imagine" which are technically not Beatles songs but they were awesome.  They finished the second set with "Let It Be" and a great rendition of "Golden Slumbers/ Carry That Weight/ The End."  When they left the stage, I started yelling "Hey Jude" and everyone around me cheered.  Of course, they came back and sang it for me and the crowd went a little crazy with the chorus as they often do.  They ended with "Twist and Shout" which got everybody up dancing!  I loved every single minute of this concert and I think I sang every word of every song!  Seeing the Utah Symphony at Deer Valley is so much fun!  Go here to see the rest of the concerts at the Deer Valley Music Festival this summer and then pack a picnic, bring a blanket, and sit under the stars listening to fabulous music!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...