Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Imagine Dragons at Energy Solutions Arena

I love the band Imagine Dragons!  Their album Night Visions was practically the soundtrack to my life during a period of time when I was particularly happy and, even now, when I listen to those songs I am reminded of some great memories.  Despite the fact that the band literally got their start playing clubs in Provo and SLC, I have never seen them live before last night's concert at the ESA and I have really been looking forward to it.  All I can say is that Imagine Dragons certainly put on a great show and they sound pretty impressive live (even in the ESA where the sound is sometimes less than ideal).  Dan Reynolds is incredibly charismatic and gave many heartfelt speeches thanking the people of Utah for supporting the band in their early days.  They began with "Shots," which is my favorite song from their latest album, Smoke + Mirrors.  They continued with "Trouble" and then dedicated an incredible performance of "It's Time" to Tyler Robinson, a young man from SLC who had a rare form of cancer for whom the band created the Tyler Robinson Foundation.  Next they performed a fabulous cover of Alphaville's song "Forever Young" which led into "Smoke and Mirrors."   They got the ESA rocking (not for the last time) with "Poloroid,""I'm So Sorry," and "Summer."  I loved the acoustic intro to "Gold" (which is another favorite from the new album) and I really loved the medley of "Amsterdam/Tiptoe/Bleeding Out/Release."  Reynolds really showcased his vocal range during that section of the show.  Next, they played "Demons" and I had goosebumps when Reynolds had the crowd sing the lyric, "Unless you show me how."  It was definitely an amazing moment.  They finished the set with "Hopeless Opus," "On Top of the World," "Friction," "I Bet My Life," and a mind-blowing version of "Radioactive" complete with lasers.  For the encore they played "The Fall."  This was such a great concert and I will definitely see them any time they pass through SLC!

Note:  I always have my sophomores write a research paper and give an oral presentation on a famous person of their choice.  Since students hate writing research papers, I figure they will be more inclined to complete the assignment if they can write about someone they are already interested in.  Last spring one of my students chose Dan Reynolds.  After her oral presentation I asked her if she was going to this concert.  She told me no and then literally started crying when I told her I was!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...