Sunday, August 2, 2015

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation

I absolutely love the Mission: Impossible franchise!  Friday night I was able to see the fifth installment, Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation, and it is fantastic!  I loved everything about it!  CIA Director Hunley (Alec Baldwin) disbands the IMF just when agent Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise) is convinced he can prove the existence of the Syndicate, a sinister criminal organization led by a disavowed MI6 agent who has gone rogue named Solomon Lane (Sean Harris).  In Lane, Hunt has definitely met his match but he is aided by Ilsa Faust (Rebecca Ferguson), an MI6 agent who has infiltrated the Syndicate but her loyalties are often suspect.  Eventually the other IMF agents, Benji (Simon Pegg), Brandt (Jeremy Renner), and Luther (Ving Rhames), secretly come to Hunt's aid but he is always one step behind Lane until it comes down to a final confrontation between two worthy adversaries.  The action sequences in this movie are amazing!  Hunt must foil an assassination attempt during a performance of Turandot at the Vienna Opera House and the fight on the lights above the stage is unbelievable.  The juxtaposition of the music with the action definitely heightens the tension and I loved these scenes because Turandot is one of my favorite operas.  There is also an epic motorcycle chase through the streets of Casablanca and then the Atlas Mountains.  I was on the edge of my seat!  There are a few twists and turns, especially involving the British Prime Minister (Tom Hollander, who played Mr. Collins in Pride and Prejudice), the Director of MI6 (Simon McBurney), and CIA Director Hunley, so you are never quite sure what is going to happen next. The final resolution between Hunt and Lane is so absolutely perfect that I actually cheered out loud (I wasn't alone).  I loved watching all of the actors having fun with their characters, especially Pegg as Benji, and Ferguson is totally badass!  If you are a fan of Mission: Impossible, I think this may be the best movie in the franchise and I highly recommend it!

Note:  Tom Cruise is not my favorite actor (I think he's kind of a weirdo) but you've got to give the dude credit for all of the awesome stunts he does.  Dangling from Dead Horse Point and scaling the Burj Khalifa are amazing but hanging on to a moving airplane?  Mind blown!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...