Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Infinitely Polar Bear

This summer I've gotten into the habit of going to a late night movie on Sunday.  I love sitting in a darkened theatre with a group of total strangers watching images on a giant screen and after the movie I love driving in an almost abandoned city in the wee hours of the morning knowing that, unlike most everyone else, I don't have to wake up in a few hours.  Sadly, this practice must come to an end in a few weeks when I go back to school.  (Not surprisingly, very few people  are willing to commiserate with me on this sad turn of events!)   I've seen some wonderful movies on my late night excursions (go here, here, here, here, and here to check them out) and last Sunday I decided to see Infinitely Polar Bear which is also wonderful.  Cameron Stuart (Mark Ruffalo) is a manic-depressive member of a wealthy and aristocratic Boston family.  The matriarch of the family gives him just enough money to survive but refuses to support his family.  His wife Maggie (Zoe Saldana) is accepted to the MBA program at Columbia and makes the difficult decision to move to New York because it is the only way to improve her family's financial circumstances.  She leaves her young daughters in Cameron's care which results in some comedic and well as heartbreaking situations.  Ultimately, Maggie realizes that the girls are better off with Cameron because he is always there for them in a way that she cannot be.  It is writer/director Maya Forbes' own touching autobiographical story of her experiences with her father.  Her daughter, Imogene Wolodarsky, plays a fictionalized version of her and gives an incredible performance.  I have always been a fan of Mark Ruffalo and he is brilliant in this role.  He is both charming and belligerent and there were times when I was moved to tears over how he was treating his daughters and times when I laughed out loud at his antics, especially when he makes a flamenco skirt for a talent show.  I absolutely loved this movie and I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...