Friday, August 14, 2015

Time for Three With the Utah Symphony

Last night, after a long day at school in which I accomplished very little, I went to a concert featuring a string trio called Time for Three with the Utah Symphony under the baton of Maestro Jerry Steichen (always a treat).  I was tired and a little bit stressed but I knew that I would enjoy myself listening to the Utah Symphony under the starts at the Red Butte Garden Amphitheater.  What I didn't realize was that violinist Zach De Pue, violinist Nick Kendall, and double-bassist Ranaan Meyer would absolutely blow my mind.  Clad in black jeans, they looked more like rock stars rather than classically trained musicians (which they are) and they played everything from bluegrass to rock and roll and every genre in between.  I loved it!  The orchestra began the concert with a piece composed by Zach De Peu called "In the Dressing Room" which was just lovely and then Time for Three played a medley of "Eleanor Rigby" and "Blackbird" by the Beatles.  It was at this point that I knew I was in for an extraordinary evening.  They also played a lovely version of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" and a rousing rendition of Billy Joel's "Angry Young Man."  I especially enjoyed all of the mash-ups of contemporary songs and classical pieces such as "Cry Me a River " by Justin Timberlake with Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings, "Firework" by Katy Perry with The Firebird by Igor Stravinsky, and "Gallows Pole" by Led Zeppelin with Beethoven's Eroica Symphony.  Genius!  And then, lest the audience doubt their classical background, they played "Winter" and "Summer" from Vivaldi's Four Seasons much to the delight of the crowd!  They ended the concert with "Little Lion Man" by Mumford & Sons (even singing along with some of the lyrics) and then played a highly amusing version of "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" by the Charlie Daniels Band for the encore.  They substituted their own lyrics lamenting the fact that, despite their classical training, this is the only song people want to hear on the fiddle!  It could not have been a more amazing night!  If you have the chance to see Time for Three, I highly suggest you take advantage of it!

Note:  After the concert, a man sitting behind me told his wife that it was much better than he expected!  I love listening to the Utah Symphony but this concert was better than I expected, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...