Monday, August 3, 2015

The Wizard of Oz at Sundance

One of my favorite summer traditions is going to the Sundance Mountain Resort to see a musical performed in conjunction with Utah Valley University.  Marilyn and I have seen The Sound of Music, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Annie Get Your Gun, Fiddler on the Roof, and Saturday night we added The Wizard of Oz to that list.  It was an absolutely beautiful night up in the mountains, with just a hint of fall in the air.  I really can't explain why I love watching performances outside under the stars but it makes me so happy!  This production of The Wizard of Oz is so charming.  I was actually singing along until Marilyn gave me "the look" but then, just a few minutes later, I caught her singing so I took that as free reign to continue!   Just like in the movie, all of the scenery and costumes in the first act are in very muted tones and then there is a color explosion once Dorothy (Hannah Pyper) gets to Oz.  I think this is the most ambitious set I've ever seen at Sundance, with a yellow brick road on a turntable that is most effective.  The costumes are phenomenal!  I especially loved the Munchkins because the actors are on their knees and their costumes featured legs which could be manipulated.  So funny!  The Scarecrow (Cleveland McKay Nicoll), Tin Man (Maxwell Higbee) and the Cowardly Lion (Wade Robert Johnson) are all fabulous dancers and the choreography is very innovative, particularly in the scene with the poppies.  Pyper has an excellent voice and does a great job with the role of Dorothy.  I thoroughly enjoyed myself and would definitely recommend getting tickets (go here for tickets and more information).  The show runs until August 15 at the Sundance Resort.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...