Saturday, September 19, 2015

Beethoven Festival

For the first time in about fifteen years I missed the Utah Symphony's opening weekend last week (because of a little thing called Homecoming).  To celebrate its 75th Anniversary, the Utah Symphony opened the 2015-2016 season with a Beethoven Festival consisting of four concerts featuring all of Beethoven's symphonies.  While I missed the first two concerts, I was able to see the third one last night and I certainly enjoyed it!  The orchestra began with Symphony No. 1.  I really liked it because it reminded me a lot of Mozart who was a big influence on Beethoven during the period when this symphony was written.  I particularly enjoyed the second movement because it had a light and playful theme featuring the woodwinds and the horns.  After the intermission, the orchestra played Symphony No. 3, which is known as "Eroica."  This piece is believed to be written about Napoleon Bonaparte, who Beethoven viewed as a hero.  I think it is absolutely amazing with themes which are very dramatic and stirring.  I especially loved the second movement because I thought was highly emotional.  It was such a lovely evening, one that was very much needed!  Even though I really enjoyed watching the Utah Symphony perform in outdoor venues throughout the summer (Go here, here, and here), I was so happy to be back at Abravanel Hall and I look forward to many more wonderful evenings throughout the rest of the season.

Note:  I really need to study composition to find out what it is about the second movement that appeals to me so much in symphonies!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...