Friday, October 23, 2015

Big Fish at HCT

Wednesday night I had the chance to see the musical Big Fish at Hale Centre Theatre.  I didn't know anything about the music or story before I saw it but now I can tell you that it is absolutely charming. Will Bloom is exasperated by all of his father's wild stories involving an encounter with a witch, learning how to swim from a mermaid, a friendship with a giant, running away to the circus, and stopping an assassination attempt of a general during the war. When Will learns that his father is dying of cancer, he returns to visit and, after a Wild West confrontation between the two, discovers that his father has been a real hero all along. All of the songs are so uplifting, especially "Be the Hero," and I loved the choreography, costumes, and props featured in the fantastical stories recounted by Edward.  I think the scenes at the circus were my favorite and I just about died when the elephants (wearing pink tutus) appeared at the top of every aisle!  As usual, Kacey Udy has outdone himself with the set design.  There is a river (literally) flowing through the middle of the stage and it is pretty spectacular.  I also loved the use of miniatures to denote various locations such as the witch's haunted house, Auburn University, and the city of Ashton. Both Douglas W. Irey and Jacob Theo Squire are outstanding as Edward and Will Bloom, respectively. Irey portrays Edward's zest for life with an enthusiasm that is palpable and I really enjoyed his facial expressions, especially when he is wooing his future wife Sandra (Amanda Crabb). Squire portrays Will's journey from skepticism to appreciation for his father's stories with heartfelt emotion, particularly in the song "What's Next."  I also really enjoyed Mackenzie Seiler as The Witch.  She has an incredibly powerful voice and her song, "I Know What You Want," just about blew the roof off of the theatre (and received thunderous applause). I highly recommend this delightful show about the reconciliation between a father and son.  It runs at Hale Centre Theatre until Nov. 28 and you can go here for tickets and more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...