Saturday, November 14, 2015

Bolero

When I was young, my Dad had a recording of various pieces of classical music programmed on the Moog synthesizer.  I enjoyed the entire recording but my favorite piece was Bolero by Maurice Ravel.  I absolutely loved it and I listened to it over and over again.  My favorite part was at the end when the synthesizer simulated applause.  I had no idea that I was listening to classical music; I just thought it was the coolest thing ever!  Now I know better so I always try to hear Bolero performed live whenever I get the chance and I had the chance to hear the Utah Symphony perform it last night.  The concert featured several works by Maurice Ravel including La Valse, which was lovely (especially the harps), Une barque sur l'ocean, which was very dynamic, and an incredible staging of the opera The Child and the Enchantments (featuring many wonderful soloists from the Utah Opera and the Choristers of The Madeleine Choir School).  I really enjoyed these pieces but, for me, the main event was Bolero.  I literally had goosebumps when I heard bits of the distinctive theme played while the orchestra was warming up before the concert!  It begins almost imperceptibly with a snare drum (playing the same rhythm throughout the entire piece) and then a melody is played by a solo flute.  This melody is repeated over and over by the various instruments in the orchestra (my favorite is the solo trombone), building in intensity and volume for 17 minutes until a dramatic crescendo at the end.  It is simply amazing and I am not exaggerating when I say that I could barely contain myself during the performance (I apologize to anyone sitting near me!).  If you have never heard Bolero performed live, do yourself a favor and go here for tickets to tonight's performance!  I am seriously thinking of going so I can hear it again!

Note:  I went to this concert specifically to hear Bolero but I would also recommend it for the incredible performance of The Child of the Enchantments (I absolutely loved Derrick Parker as the Tree), a piece I was entirely unfamiliar with.  One of the things I love most about the Utah Symphony is that I am always introduced to new pieces and composers that become favorites!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...