Saturday, November 7, 2015

Mahler's Symphony No. 5

I knew I was in for an exciting evening when I saw a myriad of percussion instruments (including not one, but three, gongs!) on the Abravanel Hall stage last night!  The concert began with the premiere of a piece by Andrew Norman called Switch which was commissioned by the Utah Symphony.  Norman was in attendance and spoke to the audience about the unique structure of the piece.  He mentioned that the various percussion instruments acted as a "switch" to activate and control different instruments in the orchestra.  I loved it!  The soloist on percussion was Colin Currie, whom I've seen perform with the Utah Symphony several times before, and he is always incredibly entertaining.  I loved watching him run in between all of the percussion instruments (he literally leaped onto the stage from the audience).  I thought the piece was incredibly dynamic and interesting.  After the intermission, the orchestra played Symphony No. 5 by Gustav Mahler.  This piece is a tremendous affirmation of life and I found it especially appropriate after such an incredible week at school (more on that later).  I particularly loved the theme played by the solo trumpet during the first movement and I also loved the call of the trumpet and the response of the clarinet in the third movement.  There is a section in the third movement where the stringed instruments are plucked (I am sure there is a technical term for that) and I thought it was very beautiful.  The fourth movement is absolutely sublime, written as a love letter to Mahler's wife Alma, and it brought tears to my eyes.  The fifth movement is triumphant with a fanfare by the brass which is incredibly stirring.  I had never heard this piece before and I really enjoyed it.  Do yourself a favor and go here for tickets to tonight's performance of this concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...