Thursday, November 19, 2015

Mockingjay Double Feature

Last night's screenings of Mockingjay Part 1 and Part 2 brought to an end what amounts to an enormous commitment to a franchise; Hunger Games premiered in 2012 so I have been waiting four long years to see the conclusion (also, spending five hours to watch both films seemed like an enormous commitment as well.)  In the final analysis, it seemed pretty anticlimactic.  When I saw Part 1 last year, I was really surprised by how much I liked it considering that the book upon which it is based is my least favorite in the trilogy.  Apparently, what I disliked about the book was reserved for Part 2.  The second movie begins almost exactly where the first one ended (It was almost as if there was a short intermission in one long movie!) with Katniss (Jennifer Lawrence) reeling from Peeta's (Josh Hutcherson) attack.  She finally decides that she, alone, must stop Snow (Donald Sutherland) once and for all by assassinating him.  She joins the rebels, including Gale (Liam Hemsworth) and Finnick (Sam Claflin) for a final assault on the Capitol with some fantastic action scenes, such as outrunning a tidal wave of oil and battling a series of mutants in the sewers, and a showdown with President Snow.  As exciting and intense as the battle scenes are, they are also somewhat underwhelming because the Capitol is already in ruins.  We don't get the satisfaction of watching the rebels destroy the city.  We also don't get the satisfaction of seeing the final battle because Katniss is knocked out by the explosion and, when she wakes up, it is all over.  Furthermore, without giving anything away, the final confrontation between Katniss and Snow is hardly satisfying, considering what she has been through.  Finally, the happy ending in a bucolic setting bathed in sunshine feels contrived to me.  These were all of my criticisms of the book so I'm not sure what I was expecting from a movie adaptation...Again, as I mentioned, I did enjoy all of the action scenes and I think the principal actors (most of the supporting actors have been reduced to cameos) give great performances as they grapple with themes of power and the abuse therof, but I am not sure that is enough after this much investment of time.  It was an awesome spectacle but I was a bit disappointed.

Note:  This was an advance screening with an energetic crowd yet there was no applause at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...