Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Outside Mullingar at PTC

I am not especially adventurous when it comes to the theatre (have I ever mentioned the horrible experience I had when I saw Seussical the Musical?) and I tend to see plays I've already seen before or at least know something about.  After all, tickets are often expensive and, if I am going to spend a lot of money, I want to make sure I enjoy myself.  Sometimes, however, I take a chance on something new and it instantly becomes a favorite (like PTC's production of Next to Normal several years ago).  Such was the case last night when I saw PTC's production of Outside Mullingar.  It is simply charming and I loved it!  All I knew before the curtain rose was that it was set in Ireland and I was quite surprised to discover that it was a contemporary play.  Tony Reilly (perennial PTC favorite Max Robinson) and Aoife Muldoon (Sybil Lines) have lived on adjoining cattle and sheep farms for years and, as they are both getting older, they begin to contemplate the future of their farms and whether their children love the land as much as they do.  Since neither Anthony (Tom O'Keefe) nor Rosemary (Amy Bodnar) are married, they worry that there won't be anyone to continue their legacies.  Will Anthony and Rosemary finally realize that they are meant to be together?  It is incredibly moving, especially when Tony tells Anthony how he fell in love with Anthony's mother, and it is often very comedic, especially when Rosemary declares that she has always loved Anthony.  All four actors give wonderful performances and I thought they did a great job with the Irish accent.  I liked the farmhouse sets and I thought the costumes were a lot of fun, particularly the wellies.  This play is very understated and character-driven but I was riveted by the dialogue.  I walked out of the theatre with a smile on my face (as did everyone sitting around me) and I would highly recommend Outside Mullingar for a lovely evening out.  It runs at PTC until Nov. 14.  Go here to purchase tickets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...