Saturday, December 19, 2015

A Christmas Carol at HCT 2015

I can't think of a better way to start winter break than by seeing HCT's wonderful and magical production of the beloved holiday classic, A Christmas Carol. It is one of my most favorite traditions and I have been attending this show for years and years. I really love the tale of one man's redemption and its message of caring for the welfare of mankind is particularly salient right now during these troubling times. I love seeing familiar faces return year after year, such as David Weeks as Ebeneezer Scrooge, but it is also fun to see new actors take on iconic roles.  I can't remember seeing anyone but Brad Charon play the role of Bob Cratchit or Adam Dietlein play the role of Fred so it was interesting to see Ryan J. Poole and Spencer Bean take on those parts, respectively, last night. Poole's characterization of Cratchit was very tender and I was particularly moved by a scene where Cratchit tearfully thanks Scrooge at the end of the play. I also really loved Ric Starnes as Fezziwig. Actually, all of the performances were great and, as ever, I was very impressed with the Victorian costumes and opulent sets.  I think my favorite part of Hale's production is the use of Christmas carols throughout the play.  I especially love it when the cast sings "Bring a Torch Jeanette, Isabella" which is one of my favorites. Even though I have seen this production countless times I always sit on the edge of my seat and anticipate every scene, every song, and every line of dialogue (I honestly think I could fill in for any part).  It never gets old and I always leave the theatre full of Christmas spirit.  I recommend that you experience it for yourself!  Go here for tickets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...