Thursday, December 10, 2015

Lower Lights Christmas Concert

The Lower Lights are a Utah-based supergroup of incredibly talented vocalists and musicians known primarily for their folk-gospel sound.  Every year they perform a series of Christmas concerts and I have always wanted to go to one.  In years past the concerts were held at the Salt Lake Masonic Temple, which is a really small venue, so by the time I got my act together enough to buy tickets they were usually sold out.  This year, due to their growing popularity, they moved to Kingsbury Hall and I was finally able to get a ticket to last night's concert.  It was such a wonderful evening and I loved every minute of it.  Some of my favorite songs included "I Saw Three Ships," "Away in a Manger," "Silver Bells," "In the Bleak Midwinter," "The Holly and the Ivy," "The First Noel," and a rocking version of "Once in Royal David's City."  Every time I attend a Christmas concert, I am always really nostalgic for the Christmas concerts I performed in when I was in college.  My choir really loved to sing "Bring a Torch Jeanette, Isabella" and "Still, Still, Still" and the Lower Lights performed both of them beautifully!  I also really loved the instrumental versions of "What Child Is This?" and "O Little Town of Bethlehem."  They gave me goosebumps!  There were two moments which actually brought tears to my eyes.  The first was an incredibly heart-felt rendition of "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day."  The times we are living in right now seem so dark with vitriol spewed everywhere I turn but this song gives me hope that some day we can have peace on earth and good will toward men.  The other moment was during the encore when they had the audience join them for "Silent Night" with just a guitar as accompaniment.  It was a lovely moment, to say the least!  Honestly, I don't really know what I believe any more but at this time of year, I find so much comfort in the music of Christmas.  I loved this concert so much that I hope to make it a yearly tradition.  Their final concert is tonight at Kingsbury Hall and I highly recommend that you get a ticket by going here (if there are any tickets to be had!).

Note:  Apparently the "Twelve Days of Christmas" sing-along on Tuesday was a mere warm-up for the "Go Tell it on the Mountain" sing-along last night!  I was in fine form!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...