Saturday, December 12, 2015

Macbeth

If I had to pick a favorite Shakespeare play, Macbeth would definitely be at the top of the list (along with The Merchant of Venice) so I have been looking forward to Justin Kurzel's latest adaptation of the Scottish play for what seems like the longest time!  I got to see it last night and I was mesmerized by it.  When it comes to Shakespeare, I am definitely a purist (Hello, I am an English teacher!) and I do not like it when directors get too artistic and do things like set Julius Caesar during World War I or Romeo and Juliet during the 1950s.  While the filmmakers did take a few liberties with the source material (more about that later), I loved the fact that they remained unfailingly true to the time and place, medieval Scotland, with some of the most realistic medieval warfare I have ever seen (more about that later, too).  The bloody tale of ambition and guilt begins when Macbeth (Michael Fassbender), victorious in battle for King Duncan (David Thewlis), is confronted by three apparitions on the battlefield who reveal that Macbeth will be the Thane of Cawdor and then the King of Scotland.  When the King grants him the title of Cawdor, he is spurred on by his ambitious wife (Marion Cotillard) to kill the King and take the crown, thereby fulfilling the prophecy.  Eventually, they are both undone by their paranoia and guilt over their bloody deeds.  This adaptation focuses on the fact that Macbeth and Lady Macbeth are childless as motivation for many of their actions (which Shakespeare hints at but does not explicitly state), beginning the film with the burial of their dead child and having Lady Macbeth's "sleepwalking" soliloquy directed to the ghost of the child, and I found this to be highly effective.  The "weird sisters" are portrayed as spectral figures and much of their dialogue is omitted (no cauldrons with the eye of a newt, either) but they are terrifying, nonetheless.  Other changes include having Malcolm (Jack Reynor) witness the death of his father before fleeing in fear, having Lady Macbeth witness the deaths of Macduff's (Sean Harris) family, and having the Birnam Wood come to Dunsinane as ashes (which is absolutely brilliant).  Fassbender is astonishing in this role, giving an incredibly nuanced performance as Macbeth becomes more and more tortured by guilt.  I was especially impressed with the scene with Lady Macbeth after his coronation when he first mentions his guilt.  The one tear rolling down his face just about killed me.  Cotillard is also amazing as Lady Macbeth and I was particularly struck by her strength in the Ghost of Banquo scene (with her eerie blue eye paint) and her absolute vulnerability in the "sleepwalking" scene.  These two performances make this movie a must-see, in my opinion.  The cinematography is incredible, with many of the battle scenes suffused with a red glow which is quite unnerving.  In fact, much of the film's impact is visual, as quite a bit of Shakespeare's original text is condensed.  I loved the immediacy of the battle scenes, almost as if the audience is a part of the action.  It is gruesome, to say the least, but you cannot look away. The stark beauty of the Scottish highlands is used to full effect, the costumes are surprisingly sparse but very appropriate for the time period, and the score is atmospheric and intense.   I loved it!  To be sure, this adaptation does not follow the source material as much as I would have liked, but I was captivated by the performances and would highly recommend it.

Note:  One of the employees at the Broadway told me (yes, I go there so much that all of the employees know me and talk to me) that reactions were mixed on opening day.  People either loved it or hated it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...