Sunday, February 21, 2016

Ballet West's Romeo and Juliet

Last night I saw Ballet West's beautiful production of Romeo and Juliet at Capitol Theatre. The story is based on the well known Shakespearean tragedy and features music composed by Sergei Prokofiev and choreography by John Cranko. I loved it! Even though Romeo and Juliet is not my favorite play, Prokofiev's dramatic score gave me goosebumps, especially during the Capulets' ball, and the choreography is absolutely riveting. The ensemble scenes in the marketplace are athletic, playful, and so much fun to watch; the sword fights between the Capulets and the Montagues are tense and passionate; and the three central pas de deux between Romeo and Juliet are incredibly romantic and I frequently found myself holding my breath, especially during the balcony scene and the bedroom scene. I was very impressed with the principal cast. One of the most powerful moments on stage is when Lady Capulet (Katlyn Addison) mourns over the body of Tybalt (Ronald Tilton) and climbs on to his funeral bier. Addison (who has become one of my favorite dancers because she reminds me of my niece, Tashena) gives an incredible performance filled with palpable despair. I also enjoyed Christopher Sellars' performance as Mercutio (he was greeted with thunderous applause during the final bows) because he is so charismatic. I loved it when he kisses a peasant girl as he lays dying. Rex Tilton, as Romeo, and Sayaka Ohtaki, as Juliet, dance their roles beautifully. Their pas de deux are quite acrobatic but they make them look effortless, graceful, and very emotional. This was one of the most ambitious Ballet West productions I've seen (with 75 cast members, 250 costumes, a 50-piece orchestra, and several elaborate sets) and it was quite impressive! I thought it was absolutely lovely!  Unfortunately, the run ended last night but you can go here to see upcoming Ballet West performances.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...