Saturday, February 6, 2016

Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto

Last night's Utah Symphony concert featured guest conductor Jun Markl.  I have seen him before and I find him to be wildly entertaining because he is incredibly enthusiastic, to say the least!  I loved watching him leap around the podium!  I also really enjoyed the music!  The orchestra began with the Overture to Der Freischiitz by Carl Maria von Weber.  I must confess that I knew nothing about this piece but I enjoyed it because it was very atmospheric and moody.  Then the brilliant Stefan Jackiw joined the orchestra for Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto.  I was blown away by his dazzling performance of this piece which I found to be incredibly beautiful with moments of both sadness and joy.  All of my attention was riveted on Jackiw as his bow flew over the strings!  It was an incredible performance and the audience rewarded it with a rousing standing ovation!  I am so glad that I got to experience it.  After the intermission, the concert continued with Stravinsky's Petrushka and I really enjoyed the themes played by the solo flute, the brass, and the solo piano.  It was so dramatic!  This was followed by the "Ritual Fire Dance" from El amor brujo by Manuel de Falla and I thought it was very passionate and stirring!  While I certainly enjoyed the second half of the concert, I would highly recommend that you get a ticket (go here) to tonight's performance for a chance to hear Jackiw play so magnificently.  You absolutely do not want to miss it!

Note:  By the way, have you seen the sneak preview of the Utah Symphony and Utah Opera 2016-2017 Season?  I couldn't be more excited!  So many of my favorite Russian composers, such as Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff, and Mussorgsky, are being performed plus Mozart's Requiem and Don Giovanni! Squeal!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...