Sunday, February 7, 2016

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

I am a huge fan of Jane Austen in general and of the novel Pride and Prejudice in particular so you might think that a contemporary novel which combines the classic tale about Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy with the undead would be unappealing to me.  You would be wrong!  I think the novel by Seth Grahame Smith is brilliant because it is a clever parody (I actually think the zombies are just a metaphor for the social conventions Austen pokes fun of in her novels) but the integrity of the original story is maintained.  I have eagerly been anticipating the movie adaptation of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies for months and I had the chance to see it yesterday with my sisters, my brother-in-law, my niece and my nephew.  They loved it.  I, however, could not have been more disappointed.  The movie begins so well.  Lily James and Sam Riley are perfect as the fiercely independent Elizabeth and the brooding, yet handsome, Darcy.  Matt Smith practically steals the show as the ridiculous Mr. Collins (I laughed and laughed at the scene with him dancing at the Netherfield ball) and I loved Lena Headey (and her eye patch) as the warrior version of Lady Catherine de Bourgh.  The first half of the movie is a hilarious spoof, following the book faithfully.  I especially enjoyed seeing the Bennett sisters tucking their weapons into their garters as they get ready for the Netherfield ball, seeing Mr. Darcy shoot the head off a zombie who is talking to Elizabeth, and seeing Jane (Bella Heathcote) fighting zombies while traveling to Netherfield for tea with Miss Bingley.  In my opinion, it is perfect.  Then, mid-way through the movie, a completely new storyline involving Mr. Wickham (Jack Huston) is introduced, turning the movie into an epic battle for England against the zombies.  It becomes just like every zombie movie you have ever seen before and it is not even particularly well done.  From this point forward, the plot of the book is completely ignored.  Charlotte (Aisling Loftus) does not become one of the undead, Elizabeth does not visit Pemberley (the turning point of the novel), Lydia (Ellie Bamber) does not elope with Wickham, Elizabeth does not fight a duel with Lady Catherine (what I was most looking forward to), and Elizabeth and Darcy do not fight against a horde of zombies after their engagement.  In fact, the two main couples get together at the end of the movie almost as an afterthought.  The only reason Elizabeth falls in love with Darcy is because he is a great zombie killer but he was a great zombie killer at the beginning of the movie.  There is no character arc whatsoever!  Ugh!  With a perfect cast, gorgeous costumes, atmospheric locations, and great fighting sequences, this movie could have been so great with a decent screenplay.  Instead, it turns into third-rate zombie apocalypse movie.  Don't waste your money.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...