Thursday, February 18, 2016

The Pirate Queen at HCT

When HCT announced their 2016 season, I think I was most excited to see The Pirate Queen. After all, it is composed by Claude-Michel Schonberg and Alain Boublil (better known for a little show called Les Miserables). I couldn't wait to see it and I got my wish last night.  It is, essentially, the story of two women who are enemies yet face the same limitations as women and ultimately triumph. Queen Elizabeth I (Cecily Ellis-Bills) has just assumed the throne of England and needs to prove herself by conquering the Irish barbarians. Grace O'Malley (Heather McDonald) becomes the chieftain of the O'Malley clan after proving herself in battle on her father's ship The Pirate Queen and fights to keep her people from submitting to the English Crown. It is an incredible story and, of course, the music is absolutely magnificent! I loved McDonald's voice (I thought she was a hoot as Ado Annie in Oklahoma) and I especially loved how her voice blended with Jacob Theo Squire's, as Tiernan, in the songs "Here On This Night" and "If I Said I Loved You" and with Ellis-Bills' in the songs "She Who Has It All" and "Terra Marique Potens." There are so many powerful scenes in this show but my favorites are "Dubhdara's Farewell" when Grace's father is given his final send-off to sea (the candles and the torches are incredible), the scene between Grace and Queen Elizabeth where the woman in the regalia of a monarch wants what the woman in chains and rags has in her life, and "I'll Be There" when Tiernan has to watch the woman he loves marry someone else to unite the clans. The show is staged very well, especially all of the battle scenes.  It is always so amazing to me what they can do on such a small and intimate stage and the battles are very realistic, especially in the song "Surrender." The choreography is so much fun to watch, particularly the Irish dancing during the wedding and the christening and I absolutely loved the staging of the song "Boys'll Be Boys." (Nathan Gibb Johnson is very easy on the eyes as Donal O'Flaherty, even if he does betray Grace to the English).  Brad Schroeder, the fight choreographer, and Alan Scariff, the Celtic choreographer, are to be commended. The costumes are fantastic, especially all of the over-the-top gowns worn by Queen Elizabeth and her attendants.  I love stories about powerful women and this story is told very well by HCT.  I highly recommend getting a ticket!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...