Saturday, February 27, 2016

The Witch

The Witch premiered at Sundance last year to much acclaim, even winning the Directing Award in the U.S. Dramatic category.  Several of my friends, whose opinions I hold in high regard, saw it at Sundance and absolutely raved about it so I have been looking forward to its wide release.  I saw it last night and it is the real deal!  I like to be genuinely scared by a horror movie rather than shocked and, let me tell you, I was scared by The Witch.  In 17th century New England, a farmer (Ralph Ineson), his wife (Kate Dickie), and his family are expelled from a plantation for heresy.  They settle in a remote area on the edge of a dark and foreboding forest.  When a tragedy befalls the family, who are isolated and in the grip of religious hysteria, they begin to suspect that their oldest daughter Thomasin (Anya Taylor-Joy) is involved in witchcraft.  It is brilliant!  The cast is absolutely perfect and the production design is so full of period verisimilitude that it sometimes feels like watching a documentary about Puritan life.  The historical setting makes the events seem so plausible (in fact, the script is based on the folklore of the period) that I doubt I will be able to sleep in the foreseeable future.  It is atmospheric, shot in muted gray and sepia tones; intense, to say the least; suspenseful, almost to the point of being unbearable; and scary, more for what you don't see than for what you do.  I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...