Sunday, May 22, 2016

9/11 Memorial

One of the things I really wanted to do while I was in New York was visit the 9/11 Memorial.  It is located at the site of the former World Trade Center towers and includes two giant waterfalls and reflecting pools set in the exact footprints of the towers.
The names of every person who died in the September 11, 2001 attacks, as well as the six people who died in the 1993 bombing of the World Trade Center, are inscribed into bronze panels edging the pools.  If you look directly through the letters you can see the water.
It is an incredibly somber place and it was unusually quiet.  In a city as cacophonous as New York City, it was noticeable that the only sound I could hear was the falling water.  It was so peaceful.  Many of the people around me were silently crying but I managed to keep my emotions in check until I asked one of the many docents the significance of the white roses place in some of the names.  
A white rose is placed in each name on that person's birthday.  For some reason that touched me so much and the tears just started falling (I am crying now as I type this).
It was an incredible experience to visit the 9/11 Memorial.  I highly recommend a visit if you are ever in New York City.  Go here for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...