Friday, May 6, 2016

Civil War

Last night I saw an early screening of Captain America: Civil War.  It is undoubtedly the best Avengers movie yet!  I absolutely loved it and, if I hadn't had to wake up at 5:00 this morning, I would have bought a ticket to the next screening to see it again!  Collateral damage seems to be the theme of the moment and this movie is a thought-provoking and intelligent exploration of it and the abuse of power, however well-meaning it might be.  Captain America (Chris Evans), Falcon (Anthony Mackie), Scarlet Witch (Elizabeth Olsen), Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson), and War Machine (Don Cheadle) are on a mission in Lagos, Nigeria when Scarlet Witch inadvertently causes a tremendous amount of collateral damage.  In response, the UN wants to ratify the Sokovia Accords which will limit the power of the Avengers and this causes dissension between team members, particularly Captain America and Iron Man (Robert Downey, Jr.).  Battle lines (literally!) are further drawn when surveillance footage shows that Bucky Barnes (Sebastian Stan) is responsible for the bombing of the UN building.  Captain America believes that Barnes is innocent which leads to an epic confrontation between those loyal to him and those loyal to Iron Man, including Ant-Man (Paul Rudd), Hawkeye (Jeremey Renner), and Vision (Paul Bettany) as well as the introductions of Black Panther (Chadwick Boseman) and Spider-Man (Tom Holland).  The action sequences are fantastic and I loved the interaction between the superheroes as they fight each other ("Are we still friends?" "That depends how hard you punch me.").  I also loved the opening action sequence, particularly Black Widow who is absolutely kick-ass (I have heard rumors that she will soon get a stand-alone movie!).  This incarnation of Spider-Man is now my favorite!  I laughed out loud at just about everything he says, especially the reference to The Empire Strikes Back!  In fact, all of the characters seemed interesting and engaging, much more so than in The Avengers: Age of Ultron where I often felt as if some of characters were more involved in their own story lines.  Finally, the narrative is surprisingly emotional because Captain America and Iron Man both feel strongly that they each are each doing the right thing.  There is a particularly affecting scene where they seem to lament the loss of their friendship.  I, along with the rowdy crowd at my screening, loved this movie.  I cannot imagine anyone not liking it and I highly recommend that you see it in IMAX 3D as soon as possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...