Saturday, June 4, 2016

Me Before You

I loved the movie Me Before You!  Sometimes when I really love a book I'm a little hesitant to see the movie because, let's face it, the book is always better!  While this adaptation of Jojo Moyes' best-selling novel is very faithful to the source material (except for one element which I thought was a turning point in the plot of the book but its absence didn't detract from the movie), it is the performances of Emilia Clarke as Lou and Sam Claflin as Will that made me love it so much.  Clarke is endearing as the free-spirited, optimistic, and eccentric Lou and she is able to convey so many different emotions with just a facial expression, particularly in the scenes when Will is showing so much disapproval of her, when she is overcome by the music at the Mozart concert (my favorite scene in the book), when she learns to scuba dive, and when she tells Will that she loves him.  You know exactly how she is feeling all the time which is how I imagined her in the book. In some respects, Claflin gives an even more affecting performance because he has only his facial expressions to convey his emotions since he is portraying a quadriplegic (he is so still).  I laughed and laughed at his antics when he is introduced to Lou and I laughed again at his interaction with Patrick (Matthew Lewis, from the Harry Potter movies) at Lou's birthday party.  I cried so hard when he tells Lou his plans at the end of their vacation in Mauritius (and so did everyone around me).  My favorite scene in the movie is when they "dance" at Alicia's wedding.  The camera follows them as they turn on the dance floor and everyone around them fades away.  It is such an absolutely beautiful shot (although I couldn't help but love it because Ed Sheeran's "Thinking Out Loud" is playing in the background).  I'm not usually one for weepy romances (I've never seen a Nicholas Sparks movie!) but I loved this movie because it emphasizes the fact that it is your duty to live life as fully as possible.  I highly recommend it, but bring a box of kleenex!

1 comment:

  1. I'm curious what plot element you are referring to...I think you might mean the maze. If so, I agree with your assessment.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...