Monday, July 18, 2016

A Day at the Art Institute of Chicago

Whenever I am in a big city for a few days, I always like to visit a major art museum (like I did in New York City).  Marilyn and I had a morning free in Chicago so we decided to visit the Art Institute of Chicago.
Because we are such tourists we had to find what is arguably the most famous painting in the museum:  A Sunday on La Grande Jatte by Georges Seurat.  This painting is featured in the movie Ferris Beuller's Day Off and because I love that movie it was really fun to see this.
Another really famous painting in the collection is American Gothic by Grant Wood.  It took us quite a while for us to find this painting but it was absolutely spectacular to see it in person.

I am a huge fan of Impressionism and I was thrilled to find a huge collection of paintings by some of my very favorite artists.
Cliff Walk at Pourville by Claude Monet
Houses of Parliament by Claude Monet
Stack of Wheat (Thaw, Sunset) by Claude Monet
Stacks of Wheat (Sunset, Snow Effect) by Claude Monet
Stacks of Wheat (End of Day, Autumn) by Claude Monet
Two Sisters (On the Terrace) by Pierre-Auguste Renoir
Venice, Palazzo Dario by Claude Monet
Water Lilies by Claude Monet
Water Lily Pond by Claude Monet
Waterloo Bridge, Gray Weather by Claude Monet
Woman at the Piano by Pierre-Auguste Renoir
Arrival of the Normandy Train, Gare Saint-Lazarre by Claude Monet
Poppy Field (Giverny) by Claude Monet
Drapery, Pitcher, and Fruit Bowl by Paul Cezanne
Self-Portrait by Vincent Van Gogh

It was incredible to see all of these paintings, which I had studied in college, up close and in person.  I highly recommend a visit to the Art Institute of Chicago!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...