Friday, July 1, 2016

Summer Reading: The Sense of an Ending

I think The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes is one of those books that people are either going to love or hate. I loved it! On the surface it seems like an ordinary story about an ordinary middle-aged man looking back on a rather mundane life, particularly his memories of his three best friends from school and his first girlfriend.  But it is anything but ordinary when our hero, Tony Webster, is forced to make contact with his old girlfriend after the death of one of his friends, causing everything he believes about his past to be challenged. The events are first presented in a linear way and then, at the midway point, they are presented again, backwards with hindsight. It is, in my opinion, a brilliant device because there are quite a few "a-ha" moments as you read the second half.  What I liked best is that we are left still guessing about what really happened with only the sense of an ending.  It is a study in character development and not a lot actually happens but I found it to be is so interesting because I think we all rewrite our personal history to suit our opinions of ourselves. The writing is absolutely exquisite.  Barnes has a way of conveying so much meaning with only a few words.  I found myself reading a particular phrase and then stopping to think about it for a while. This book is just the kind of perfect little gem that I love and I think I could read it again and again and derive just as much enjoyment as the first time. I highly recommend it knowing full-well that a lot of people might hate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...