Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Australia and New Zealand: The Adventure of a Lifetime

The iconic Sydney Opera House and Harbour Bridge
I just returned from an absolutely incredible adventure on the other side of the world!  I have always wanted to visit Australia and New Zealand but the long flight was so daunting to me.  I finally worked up the nerve to go (the fifteen hour flight actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be) and I am so glad that I did!
Feeding Johanssen at the Kangaroo Sanctuary
Australia and New Zealand evoked so many images in my mind before my trip and actually seeing these places exceeded all of my expectations!
Sunrise Ballooning in the Outback 
I had some incredible, once-in-a-lifetime, experiences that I won't soon forget.  My tour guide was quite possibly the best one I've ever had and he arranged so many opportunities for me to check things off my bucket-list.
Uluru (Ayers Rock)
I traveled with the best group!  There were only fifteen of us and I feel like I got to know everyone and we bonded over our shared experiences.  There was a couple from Texas on their honeymoon who were adorable, there was a couple from North Dakota who made me laugh every single day, there was a group from Colorado who basically adopted me (Do you have a jacket? I think you need some water. Where are you going for dinner? Come sit with us.), and there was a family from Virginia who I absolutely fell in love with!  I usually prefer solitude but it was so much fun being with this group.
Koala in Kuranda State Park
I had so many opportunities to meet the people of Australia and New Zealand (including dinner in the home of a family in NZ).  I don't think I've ever met people who were more welcoming or friendly.
Bondi Beach
This trip was the most ambitious and longest one I've ever done and, even though we were always on the go (so many flights), I loved every minute of it!
Whale watching in Sydney Harbour
Since I am a teacher, I almost always travel during the summer.  It was a unique experience to be in the Southern Hemisphere where it is winter!  Most of the time I wore sweaters, hoodies, and jackets which was so odd (especially since it was so hot here at home).  It was also strange to see kids going to school!
Milford Sound
I am so glad that I took this trip!  I will be sharing more in the coming weeks about this amazing experience.
Hobbiton (Yes, I am a nerd)

Note:  If there is a place you've always dreamed of visiting, DO IT!  I highly recommend Go Ahead Tours.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...