Saturday, August 13, 2016

My Obsession with Lamp Posts

I have a strange obsession with old-fashioned lamp posts.  I think it began in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada.  I kept seeing them everywhere and I thought they were so charming.  This one is near the famous Empress Hotel.
Then I started to notice them on a trip through the Baltic countries two years ago and I couldn't help taking pictures of them.  This one is located in Riga, Latvia, a city known for its Art Nouveau architecture.
This one is located outside the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in Tallinn, Estonia.  I love the contrast of the black lamp post against the pristine white building.
I continued searching for them in St. Petersburg, Russia.  This one is outside St. Isaac's Cathedral.
Now, whenever I visit a major city, I always try to find unique lamp posts.  During my recent trip, I found some beautiful ones in Melbourne, Sydney, and Auckland.  I was struck by the architecture in Melbourne and seemed to find lamp posts everywhere.

These modern lamp posts lined the famous Sydney Opera House.
A lamp post near the harbour in Auckland, New Zealand.
These lamp posts along the harbour in Auckland are quite possibly my favorite!  They were once illuminated by gas.
Looking for lamp posts has become a fun pastime while traveling and I hope to continue to find these fascinating reminders of a bygone age wherever I go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...