Tuesday, August 23, 2016

The Kangaroo Sanctuary

After touring Alice Springs, we ended the day with a sunset visit to the Kangaroo Sanctuary, a 188-acre preserve dedicated to the rescue of orphaned baby kangaroos and their rehabilitation back into the wild.  Many kangaroos are killed by traffic though the outback but, if a kangaroo has a joey in her pouch, it often survives.  Brolga, as he is known, began rescuing the joeys from their dead mothers in 2005 and eventually built the sanctuary to protect them.  Brolga took us on a tour and showed us his newest joey, Madeleine.
As we were walking through the sanctuary we came upon Johanssen, one of the older joeys, and Brolga looked at me and said, "You want to feed him, don't you?"  I got to feed a baby kangaroo!
You can tell that I don't feed babies very often!  Look how awkwardly I am holding the bottle!  I'm such a dork but it was one of the coolest things I have ever done!  We continued wandering around the sanctuary and got to see lots of the kangaroos in action.
I loved how they would use their tails to balance themselves on two legs!
The sunsets in the outback were spectacular!  The visit to the Kangaroo Sanctuary was definitely one of the highlights of my Australia trip!

Note:  Go here to find out more about the Kangaroo Sanctuary and how to donate to this wonderful cause!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...