Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Sydney

I loved Sydney!  I wish I could have stayed there a bit longer (or forever) because there is so much to do and see.
Our first stop was in the Royal Botanic Gardens for a spectacular view of the Sydney Opera House and the Harbour Bridge from a peninsula in the harbour.
Our next stop was Bondi Beach, which is a surfer's paradise.
The water was incredibly cold (although that didn't stop the surfers) but I think the ocean is so relaxing and I probably could have stayed there all day.
Next was a trip up the Sydney Tower for some amazing views of the city.
The afternoon ended with a private tour of the Sydney Opera House which is impressive, to say the least.  It was designed to look like a series of sails and there is a fascinating story about how it came to be built.
I spent the evening in an area of Sydney called "The Rocks" which is the site of the first European settlement in Australia.  Most of the original buildings were built by convict labor but many have since been torn down.  However, there are some historical pubs in the area (almost all claiming to be the oldest pub in Australia) and I went on a fun pub crawl with a guide and visited the Mercantile (pictured above), the Lord Nelson, and The Hero of Waterloo.

Note:  I am featured on the the Go Ahead travel blog!  Go here for my musings on this once-in-a-lifetime trip to Australia and New Zealand!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...