Saturday, October 29, 2016

Inferno

I loved Dan Brown's bestselling books The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons and I also enjoyed the movies adapted from them.  For some reason I haven't read Inferno but I've been looking forward to the movie for quite a while.  It was a long week at school with the end of the term and lots of tests, essays, and book reviews to grade so I decided to reward myself by seeing it last night.  Symbologist Robert Langdon (Tom Hanks, playing the role for the third time) wakes up in a Florence hospital with a gunshot wound and no memory of how he came to be there.  When someone tries to shoot him again, he escapes with the help of Sienna Brooks (Felicity Jones), the doctor treating him.  The mystery begins with a reference to Dante's poem The Divine Comedy and takes Langdon and Brooks to the Palazzo Vecchio in Florence, St. Mark's Basilica in Venice, and the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul to solve a puzzle left by a billionaire geneticist (Ben Foster) who wants to reduce the population with a plague which will be released if they fail.  Of course they are pursued by several nefarious individuals with questionable motives such as the aforementioned assassin (Ana Ularu), the head of a shadowy private security company (a hilarious Irrfan Khan), and the head of the WHO (Sidse Babett Knudsen).  As with the other movies, I really enjoyed the use of Renaissance literature, art, and architecture as clues to solve a puzzle and I loved all of the incredible locations but I found the story to be confusing (maybe because I haven't read the book) and I had a hard time keeping track of who was who.  I enjoyed watching this movie for the escapism (especially after such a hard week) but I definitely think it is the weakest of the three.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...