Saturday, October 22, 2016

Rach 3

Last night I attended a spectacular concert at Abravanel Hall featuring the Utah Symphony, guest conductor Juraj Valcuha, and soloist Andrey Gugnin performing the music of Prokofiev and Rachmaninoff.  It was so amazing that you really should stop reading right now and go here for a ticket to tonight's performance of the same program!  Trust me.  This is one concert you don't want to miss!  I've said this before and I will probably say it again but I love the Russians because their music is so moody, atmospheric, and emotional and tonight's program featured two pieces which are, in my opinion, quintessentially Russian.  The orchestra began with Prokofiev's Symphony No. 3 which is intense, to say the least.  It begins, very dramatically, with the chimes and continues with a big sound (I sometimes wish I knew more about classical music so I could describe it better).  I loved the pounding bass drum and the wild, maybe even violent, conclusion.  I thought it was brilliant!  After the intermission, the orchestra was joined by Gugnin for Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 3.  I love Rachmaninoff (and so do many people in SLC because Abravanel Hall was packed) because I find his music to be hauntingly beautiful and filled with melancholy.  I don't know why that appeals to me so much but my heart almost bursts when I hear the romantic melodies and themes.  Gaugin's performance was unbelievable (I always think that Russian soloists play the music of Russian composers better than anyone else) and I've never seen an entire audience jump up for a standing ovation faster than the one last night.  People were not only clapping, but cheering and stomping their feet as well.  It was more like a rock (Rach on!) concert than a classical performance!  Get a ticket for tonight's performance!  You'll thank me later!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...