Thursday, February 2, 2017

Moana Sing-Along

I really love the movie Moana (I actually saw it twice in one day!).  It is probably my very favorite Disney animated film because it has a wonderful story filled with adventure, vibrant animation, and amazing songs written by Lin-Manuel Miranda (one of which is nominated for an Academy Award).  My sister Marilyn found a special sing-along engagement and last night we took my Mom and Tashena to see it.  As you may know, I've been singing songs written by Lin-Manuel Miranda at the top of my lungs in the privacy of my car for the past year so it was a change to sing his songs in public (also at the top of my lungs!).  The original movie features on-screen lyrics and during the first song, "Where You Are," people in the theater were pretty tentative but everybody eventually got braver and started singing louder and louder.  Tashena basically belted out the song "How Far I'll Go" complete with dramatic gestures.  I especially liked singing "We Know The Way"  and "Shiny" but everyone in the theater really raised the roof during "You're Welcome."  We may or may not have been a bit boisterous ("I'm just an ordinary demi-guy.")  I even heard my Mom singing!  Not only did we sing every song but we also started speaking the dialogue ("I am Moana of Motunui.  You will board my boat and sail across the sea to restore the heart of Te Fiti.").  This movie was so much fun!  Tashena told us on the drive to the theater that she wouldn't sing along and that she was going to be really embarrassed by us but we could hardly contain her in her seat.  She was laughing and giggling the whole time and she even kept singing through the lobby and parking lot!  If you are a fan of this movie, you definitely do not want to miss this!  Tickets can be purchased here.

Note:  Speaking of Academy Awards, I've seen all of the 2017 nominees for Best Picture except one (you can read my commentaries on ArrivalManchester by the Sea, La La Land, Lion, Moonlight, Hacksaw Ridge, Fences, and Hidden Figures).  My friend enthusiastically recommended Hell or High Water but it was released when I was in Australia and it didn't have a long engagement in SLC.  I am hoping to be able to see it somehow before the big night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...